Being an international student in a foreign country can be an exciting experience. You can expand your learning, explore different cultures, and to get an accredited qualification you can use anywhere in the world.
At Swinburne Sydney, you get all that and more. So, we have compiled some useful information to help you get started as you make your higher education plans.
Why choose Swinburne Sydney
Ranked amongst top 3% of the leading global educational institutions, Swinburne has an international reputation for quality research that connects science and technology with business and the community.
A master degree from Swinburne Sydney can help get you started on your dream career with potential Australian and global employers. This is because our STEM master courses are aligned with leading industries such as Information and Communication Technologies and the Construction sector.
Swinburne also features in the top 10 public universities in the 2019 QILT Student Experience Survey (SES), with an impressive 75% score on Overall Educational (OE) experience among postgraduate students and 83% in Teaching Quality (TQ).
We are always focused on enhancing student experience and career outcomes. So in addition to offering industry-relevant courses with student-friendly scholarship offers, we are offering end-to-end student support throughout your journey with us.
Make Sydney your destination
Sydney is among the world’s most habitable cities. A beautiful harbour-front city, it offers a holistic, multi-cultural lifestyle for students and professionals, with immense scope for employment and career development with leading global employers along with a vibrant ambience for a well-balanced daily life, with luxuriant beaches, parks, theatres, restaurants and recreational avenues for travel and leisure.
Get the best of Parramatta
Swinburne Sydney is located in the heart of Parramatta, a fast-growing hub of western Sydney. The university is very conveniently located near the Parramatta train station and close to the bus and ferry stations. Parramatta offers the best of the city with a range of shopping centres, restaurants, eateries,
Traveling to different parts of the city from Parramatta is quite convenient. The public transport system is very well connected, so no matter which part of the city you live in you will have accessibility to other areas through the city’s amazing network of buses, trains, light rail, metro and ferries.
- Public transport: Opal cards enable you to travel on buses, trains, light rail, ferries and Sydney Metro services. You can easily get one in any of the stores around the city and top up your card on the Opal Card app on your smart phone. For more information, please visit: transportnsw.info.
- Taxis: Taxis can be hailed on the street (surcharges apply). You can also book a taxi online using an app on your phone: ingogo.com.au/book-taxi-sydney or access other services such as Uber which offer individual and ride sharing services.
- Cycling: Sydney has plenty of options for those willing to explore the city on two wheels. It is mandatory for cyclists to wear a helmet whenever and wherever they ride a bike. For more information, please visit: sydney.com/things-to-do/adventure-andsport/cycling.
- Driving: Driving in Australia requires a valid driver’s licence issued by the state you reside in. For more details, please visit: rms.nsw.gov.au/. International driving permits may also be used in some cases. For more information, visit: nsw.gov.au/roads/licence/movingto-nsw.html.
Parks and grounds
Parramatta is full of beautiful parks and recreational areas. For more information, please visit: parrapark.com.au. Here are a few of the most popular parks and grounds:
- PARRAMATTA PARK – MACQUARIE ST, PARRAMATTA: Parramata Park is a great place to picnic, celebrate family milestones, get active, explore Parramatta’s history or attend one of the many events and festivals. The park is open all year round and it’s free to enter. For more information, please visit: parrapark.com.au
- LAKE PARRAMATTA RESERVE – LACKEY STREET, PARRAMATTA: With more than 70 hectares of bushland to explore and only two kilometres from the Parramatta CBD, a visit to Lake Parramatta is the perfect way to enjoy a sunny Sydney day by the water. For more information, please visit: discoverparramatta.com/see-and-do/five-reasons-to-visit-lakeparramatta-reserve
- WESTFIELD PARRAMATTA – 159-175 CHURCH ST, PARRAMATTA: Westfield Parramatta – your one-stop hub for shopping, fun and relaxation. For more information, please visit: westfield.com.au/Parramatta
- RIVERSIDE THEATRE – CORNER CHURCH AND MARKET STREETS, PARRAMATTA: Riverside Theatre is a multi-venue performing arts centre located in the CBD of Parramatta. Opened in 1988, its venues include the 761-seat Riverside Theatre, the 213-seat Lennox Theatre, and the 88-seat Raffety’s Theatre. For more information, please visit: riversideparramatta.com.au
- THE NEW SOUTH WALES LANCERS MEMORIAL MUSEUM – 2 SMITH ST, PARRAMATTA: This is a military museum. The museum’s collection comprises over 6000 items that trace the active, ceremonial and peacetime service history of the 1st/15th Royal NSW Lancers Regiment from its inception through to the present day. For more information and visiting hours, please visit: lancers.org.au
Shopping and recreation
In Parramatta, the shops are located conveniently near the transport hubs. There are many retail outlets to choose from. To get an idea of what’s available, please visit: discoverparramatta.com. Gyms are especially popular in Australia. To find gyms located in Parramatta, please visit: localfitness.com.au/.
Eating out or dining in
There are a number of restaurants and multi-cuisine eateries in Parramatta. We’ve shortlisted the three top ones: Uncle Kurt’s, The Emporium, and Gelato Messina. For more information, please visit: theurbanlist.com.
If you would like food to be delivered to you, consider using Uber Eats, Menulog or Deliveroo.
Living in the area
Here are several helpful links if you are looking for accommodation in Parramatta and the surrounding suburbs:
Have questions about getting started? No worries – we are here for you. Talk to our student services team today to discuss your options or how to apply for our upcoming intake.